Thursday, July 2, 2009

Facebook Is Too Fast

So me & me mates were back at the shack we had Spike Jones on the box, and Trevor turns to me and says, ‘So Rachel’s running with the Olympic Torch!” And I’m like, “What?”

And then a split second later my phone vibrates with a text and it’s from Rachel, ‘call me, what are you doing January 27?’. She had gotten the very exciting news she had been chosen to run a stretch of the torch relay, posted it on facebook, and then immediately texted me. She had wanted to break the news to me directly, but sadly if you post in on facebook first, telling me immediately afterwards is not fast enough.

I feigned some outrage that I had to find out second hand, but truthfully I’m used to it. Trevor is a facebook fiend, and I am a facebook abstainer, so I fairly often get news of people in my life second hand through him. I should probably participate, but I just can’t get into it. I do have an account. I probably check it once a month. Probably actually respond to stuff, accept friend requests, etc, every six months or so. I’d obviously be better off just not having a profile at all, instead of just being a non-responsive asshole, but I do keep thinking one day I’ll develop a desire to facebook it up. Realistically, it’s not very likely, but you never know.

In the meantime, I’ll just keep checking for updates from Trev. If Rachel goes into labor or something, I’m sure he’ll let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Lesson learned! Text husband first before informing Facebook world.

    ReplyDelete