Monday, July 20, 2009

Thinking About Supernova Elite

I got so annoyed with FT and their software update problems that I pulled my roll. Had been messing around with some Eurosites but so far can't get comfortable with their software (although I should probably try harder, but w/e) so suddenly I'm on PokerStars.

I've kinda thought about going for Supernova Elite before, almost as a personal challenge, but now that I'm actually playing on Stars I'm pretty seriously considering it. For those of you not in the poker world, that's a reward system related to volume of play. If you hit a certain number of points within the calendar year you'll have over six figures in bonuses. So basically if you even break even in the games, it's a decent income. If you can eke out 1ptbb/100 or something like that, it starts being a pretty dang good income.

If you can extreme multi-table (like ~20 tables) at 200NL 6max it's not as much play as I would have thought. But going through the endless 2+2 threads on the pursuit, people burn out pretty bad. And the fact is out of the hundreds of thousands of people who play on PokerStars, only 100 or so make it to Elite. Considering there's some pretty serious grinders out there, that's a surprisingly small number.

I don't think I would burn out on the actual play, I just think I might burn out on the pursuit. Especially with a new baby about. But at the same time, a 'guaranteed' six figures for roughly half the hours of a regular full-time job is kinda hard to ignore. I mean, baby's gotta eat.

It would start January 1, so I have a lot of time to consider it. Mainly I think I should do it, yet I have an overwhelming sense I would regret it. So we'll see. I'll probably do a couple 'test runs', getting the required points for like a week, and see how it feels.

1 comment:

  1. Supernova Elite is a dream. It isn't very realistic of a goal. -Duke

    ReplyDelete