Thursday, July 2, 2009

Poker Reversal Of Fortune

I’m reticent to even mention it, lest I jinx myself, but there has been a massive turnaround in the poker outlook. I’m not sure if it came across fully in previous blogs, but it was going quite badly. Wouldn’t say disastrously, because my real life bottom line wasn’t adversely affected, but I just couldn’t win. And worse, I knew I was playing bad. My online bankroll was getting quite small, I moved down to 50NL for the first time in a very long time, and still lost my first few sessions there.

Few days ago I started rewatching a series of videos that had been quite helpful for me a while ago, caused a real breakthrough inmy game at the time. I’m only halfway through the second of five, but so far it’s been a series of lights going on. I had definitely drifted away from my game plan, and even though on the forums or whatever I still knew what was right, in actual games I was constantly putting myself in situations where I ultimately had to run well to win. And as I was definitely not running well by any definition, the end result was not pretty.

Somehow just watching the videos (I guess in combination with knowing deep down that I was pretty off track) has seemingly instantly righted the ship. I’ve played eight sessions since then, and booked a winner every time. Not huge winners, but about 20 buy-ins overall. That’s pretty big cumulatively, and it is downright massive when compared with how it was trending previously.

Of course, you don't win eight consecutive sessions without running well. Which I definitely, suddenly, am. Although with the exception of one massive suckout (I got it in with AJ BVB against a very aggressive guy, he had AA -- somehow by the end of the hand there were two jacks on board), I haven't been coming from behind to win or anything. More just my big hands holding up against fish. But the results aren't the most important part. What matters is I feel like I'm playing my best again. It's a great relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment