Friday, July 24, 2009

Rocking Hard Or Hardly Rocking?

It's hard to know sometimes. Tonight we were the fourth and final band in this outdoor Amphitheater in central Washington state. Quite a nice set up, beautiful evening and all that, but they ran it festival style so there was no sound check. The in-ear monitors didn't get wired correctly so we couldn't hear shit. Well, it was different for everyone, but all I could hear was Jason's banjo and Trevor's vocal. Helluva concert.

If the in-ears go bad (like your battery dies) in a club it's not that bad, you still hear the mains. But at outdoor shows it's downright brutal. The front of house speakers are far enough ahead of you, and the sound doesn't bounce back against anything, to the point where you can't even tell if things are on. It's just a terrible overall experience, although almost always you find out later that people in the audience were fully unaware that you felt like you were drowning all night. It's still rock and roll, I guess, even if the band can't tell.

Crap ass internet at the hotel. Good enough to post a blog, obviously, but not pokerz worthy. It brings to mind the SuperNova Elite plan, on account of there are gonna be days like this where I just can't play at all. But for today, anyway, it's good timing. I've been running on fumes in the sleep department, but I'd probably play at least three or four hours if there was good internet. Actually, it probably is good enough to play a little bit, maybe 6 or 8 tables. But I played last night on sketchy internet and had my first bad session since starting the Stars experiment (bad in terms of how I played, not necessarily results). I realized the shit internet does get kind of tilting, takes me out of focus, so I'm going to try and avoid that as much as possible. Or, at least, tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment