Monday, September 21, 2009

Lucky Rivers

I used to feel somewhat guilty when I sucked out.  That passed a long time ago.  Now I kinda like it.  Which flies in the face, I suppose, of Willinnewhaven’s advice to not care about results.  But I don’t think I like it specifically because I dragged the pot (although you would imagine that’s a factor).  It’s more because it helps take the edge off when it happens the other way.  Like, ‘look, ma, I’m not cursed!  I can get lucky too’.

 Here’s two that happened back to back at the end of this past session. 

In this one I think villain donks with any K, and will have a hard time letting it go.  He obv looks committed on the turn, which he probably was even without improving but as it turns out he was not only committed but ahead.  (Yeah, the overbet is a little worrisome, but this particular player I still thought I'd be ahead way more often than not.  TP is definitely the stone cold nuts to him).

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/845592

When I click it back in the next hand and he shoves I’m like 95% sure I’m good.  Oh well.  Saved by the turn (just realized that means blog title doesn't work -- too late to change it now).

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/845594

Speaking of click it back, I really can’t say enough about how well it works as a value line.  And the beauty is, you can also mix in bluffs because if your opponent has absolutely nothing it’s still hard for him to continue.  So even if someone has been paying attention enough to see me do it a few times, I think my range is polarized in a way that makes it tough  to counter.  With 24 tables going these days, I’m sure I am not putting good regs to many tough decisions, so any relatively simple way to get a bit tricker is a good thing. 

But anyway, villain here actually has reasonable TAGish stats (despite the not very TAGgy preflop call).  I guess he just won’t stand for being min three bet post flop.

No comments:

Post a Comment