Friday, September 4, 2009

Hoping The Movie Lives Up To The Trailer

Went to 'Paper Heart'. It was charming but kinda boring. Also, I didn't trust it, and didn't know if I was supposed to trust it, so was spending too much mental energy wondering how scripted it was or was not. But still, there are worse ways to spend 90 minutes.

Among the previews was one for 'I Like It Loud'. It's basically a chronicling of Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White hanging out, talking shop, and playing their guitars. While it did look like the movie could get pretentious in spots, on the whole it was a fully exhilarating trailer. I felt pretty much giddy at its conclusion, and I cannot remember the last time I felt so much "can't wait" towards seeing a movie. Of course, expectations are a killer, so I'm trying to tone them down.

Also saw a trailer for a new 'Trailer Park Boys' movie. Didn't see the first movie, and have probably only seen a couple episodes of the TV show start to finish. But I did have a couple laugh out loud (or LOL, as they say on the internet) moments during the preview. Probably won't go see it, tho, unless I'm out of options. I have a bias against that show. Not sure why cause what I've seen is generally pretty amusing. But watching it just makes me feel cheap and dirty.

1 comment:

  1. Hollywood pumps out new music, TV shows, and film because it knows what the average mouth breathing American wants to consume. They don't make things because of ART, or what people WANT... they just make what people will consume/purchase.

    Music: Cute guys/girls with a catchy beat
    TV: Non-threatening humor with jokes that have been repeated for the past 30 years
    Cinema: Attractive male and female actors given talentless scripts. Hollywood knows that all people want are pretty people, and maybe some explosions or CGI.

    Trailer Park Boys (TPB) as zero of what comes from Hollywood. The characters are proud of being alcoholic train degenerates who spend their time between seasons in jail. If you look past what makes you feel cheap and dirty, you'll find that it has ORIGINAL writing, ORIGINAL humor, actors that haven't been pimped out to any director with $20million, and hilarious characters.

    One day I'm going to treat myself by re-watching the entire series for a third time. The final season and the movies are pretty boring... but the rest of the show is top notch quality that you can't find anywhere.

    It is shame that Americans aren't familiar with TPB simply because it has cannabis themes and excessive cursing. While I don't expect the new movie to be as good as the first few seasons, I am still absolutely pysched to know that a new movie is close.

    ReplyDelete