Monday, August 3, 2009

Probably Moving

You might say definitely moving, on account of we accepted an offer to buy our place. But you know, never say never and all that. Of course, by that logic you could kind of put yourself in a spot where you could literally never say anything was about to happen, no matter how certain it seemed. I don't think that would be all that terrible a spot to be in. But conversationally, at least, we are definitely moving.

After opening our home to the public (and the public's realtors) this weekend for a couple two hour stints, we met down at our particular realtor's office (a mere two blocks from the homestead) this morning to consider offers. I misunderstood what this entailed. I thought we would sit around there and she would show us what offers had come in, and we would leisurely discuss our next course of action. But as it turns out, the real estate agents for prospective buyers actually turn up in person and make their pitch.

I didn't realize this until the first such agent was well into his presentation. I assumed, until a light slowly went on somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain, that he was an assistant to our agent. In my defense, he was very young and kind of nervous. And, also in my defense, nobody told me who the hell he was one way or the other, so how was I to know? Anyway, I was kind of embarrassed cause I was kicking back with my supersize McDonald's beverage and fruit and yogurt parfait (I had, naturally, risen at the last possible minute for this meeting so this was breakfast). I would have gone for at least a slightly more serious vibe, had I realized how it was all meant to play out. Oh well, hopefully my casualness encouraged them to try harder.

We accepted one of the numerous offers, with a possession date of September 1, which leaves us less than a month to find a new place to live or hit the streets. It's further complicated by me being out of town the whole last half of the month. But it'll work out. It's very likely we'll buy something new in time (we do have an offer out on a place right now, tho they turned us down once before and we didn't make the offer that much sweeter, so I'm not counting on a 'yes'), and if not we'll just have to decide whether to put our stuff in storage and infringe on parents while we look, or go ahead and rent something decent, putting off buying till next year. I'm loathe to be out of the market, especially as it soars right now, but that's better than buying a place we're so so about.

In poker I only got in about 75 minutes, but I collected about 600 VPP's (which I know means nothing to most people, but it's my blog so whatever). That bodes well for the Elite pursuit (because I'm still only playing 100NL and probably only about 60% of the tables I'll play when I get my new computer set up, so that rate of accrual is encouraging), but what does not bode well is the fact that I could only get in 75 minutes. It does seem like extreme times around here this week, in terms of not being able to get the hours in, but next year I'm going to have to find a way to get them in even when life is crazy. It was a tremendously neutral session. I would have booked a semi-decent win except on the very last hand my nut flush got it in on the turn against my opponent's set of tens, and he filled up on the river. I ended the 1500 hand session up exactly 60 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment