Thursday, August 13, 2009

Unbiased Reporting?

There was a recent thread on 2+2 about how poker bloggers are only active when they are on upswings. And of course there was all kinds of discussions about that, examples of when guys did in fact blog their downswings (hello? Sample size?). It did give me cause for reflection. I would like to think that you could count on me for, not necessarily a thorough, but at least a truly random account of my poker exploits; that I would blog the ups and downs equally. But notice that my last poker entry was just over a week ago, when I was in the final stages of one of my more memorable upswings. And since then, I’ve had some miserable results, and lo and behold no blog entry.

Of course my opinions on this topic are inherently flawed, but it is my belief that is just a coincidence. I think I have blogged more about downswings than upswings, in fact. That’s an assertion that could easily be substantiated with a little effort, but I’m too lazy/not really that interested. I’ll just go by my best recollection. And also admit, based on the most recent evidence, that my best recollection may be flawed.

Actually I’ve continue to book mainly winners over the last week, it’s just that three particular sessions were monumental losers and all the winners were of the marginal variety. So I’m a big loser for the whole period. The good news is I think I have handled this downswing better than any other significant one I’ve ever had. I do not believe my play has been affected by negative results, and whether that belief is delusional or not, is the first time I can say it with a straight face. As I’ve probably said before, I think handling downswings is at least as important as any other factor in having a somewhat successful poker career. So this particular downswing kinda feels like good news. Though good news doesn’t normally suck quite as hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment