Saturday, October 10, 2009

T-minus Three Weeks

Give or take. I'm actually told that we should expect him to arrive a little late. I'm not sure why they don't then make the due date a little bit later, and tell us to expect him to arrive on time. But they're the experts.

People tend to ask me two things, normally in succession. Am I excited? And then, Am I nervous and/or scared? Sometimes I disrupt their flow by answering the first question, "Yeah, I'm excited, and a little scared too." That throws 'em off.

But the truth is, I don't really no what I am. I wouldn't say in denial. But as much as I know what's about to happen, and as much as I want it to happen, for the life of me I just can't imagine it. I can't picture his face, I can't imagine his voice.

They say a woman becomes a mother at conception, and a man becomes a father at birth. I don't know. That's just a saying, and I'm pretty sure it's biologically incorrect. But I guess it's probably true, in the sense that it's meant. I've known I'm a father for, what, eight months now? But I think it's gonna be another three weeks (give or take) before I feel like one.

No comments:

Post a Comment