Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Giving The Fish My Moneys

Not always, but normally when I have a terrible session I've been stacked a lot by the 50/10/1 types. It makes sense, of course, that this leads to bad results because those are the spots on the tables where you normally make your money. So if you're actually losing to them, more often than not it's gonna get ugly.

I was talking to Dixon from Stoxpoker (who I used to get coaching from and probably will again) and he said he is now almost always folding TPTK to these types, and routinely folding overpair. Most everybody knows that you try to value bet these guys with any reasonable made hand, but you don't try to bluff, and if you get raised you're probably looking at 2p+.

For some reason it remains hard to fully accept that an extremely wide preflop range and a willingness to call down light does not mean that their raising range (especially if it's a large raise) is also wide. Definitely over the last week or so I would have been way better off just folding any time someone fitting this general profile raised me and I had one pair (regardless how good the pair). But am I just running bad in these spots, or is this a rule I should accept fairly strictly?

The most common spot where I'm calling off is I'll have AA, raise from the BTN and get called by the BB. Flop is like J77 and he C/R's big, then shoves a rag turn. There are more Jx hands than 7x hands in his range, and of course it's possible he's overvaluing a single jack. But in recent experience anyway, it's always a seven (occasionally JJ). Should I be folding AA in this spot? The point is, he would call me all the way down, regardless of bet size, with Jx. But aggression from him? Even on a board like this, I think I'm better off, long run, folding.

Here's a couple more hands where I feel I should have folded, but at the table it felt wrong. Hand 1, who shoves there? He must have either a FD, or a PP that does not give me credit for a Q. (I guess it's a good shove if I snap). And hand 2, I mean, I know I'm beat. But can't he have two pair, or a missed draw? Not often enough, I don't think. But with the odds I'm being laid...



No comments:

Post a Comment