Monday, October 26, 2009

Henry's First Game



When you are soliciting opinions on whether or not you should circumcise your son, a surprising number of people state that having him look the same as his father is an important factor. To me, that’s kind of a stretch. I guess I can see where they’re coming from, but when you’re talking about chopping away a bit of penis it seems to me you should have stronger reasons than cultivating a family resemblance.

It is important to me, however, that Henry shares some of his old man’s passions. So I was happy to begin his indoctrination into NHL hockey this evening at GM Place.

Okay, four days old is a little ridiculous for your first Canucks game, but what happened, see, was we had these primo seats from back when we thought Henry wasn’t going to be born until November. They were in the Champions Club, which is a large private suite with a ridiculous eat-till-your-sick buffet and other amenities included (Rachel had won them through work). So when Henry arrived early we considered selling them (but we felt a little funny about that seeing we hadn’t bought them), considered asking Katy to watch him while we went, but ultimately decided we wanted to take him to the game. Happily the midwife was over today and she gave it the thumps up, so we bundled the little guy up and walked the half-dozen blocks to the game.

It was pretty much a non-event, as far as he was concerned. People oohed and aahed at him, but he slept through all that. And the game to boot. Still, I think he’s probably got hockey fever now. By osmosis.

Overall the first four days of the Henry era have been amazing. Yes, the expected sleep deprivation (although Rachel has borne by far the greater brunt of that). But he’s just so perfect. I haven’t really done anything else but hang out here, and I have never ever in my entire life felt anything approaching this sense of peace and contentment. Henry is good for my psyche.

Gotta get back to grinding the pokerz and answering the band emails so that the bank doesn’t foreclose, and I guess I will. But all I really wanna do is just wanna hang with my man (and his mom).

1 comment:

  1. Very, very cute. Bonus that you won the game. I couldn't decide who I wanted to lose more :-D

    ReplyDelete