Monday, March 29, 2010

Preview Review V (with quotes)

The feature was Hot Tub Time Machine. Boo. Here's your preview review:

Death At A Funeral. Why can't Chris Rock make a funny movie. He's a funny guy. Why can't he pick a script to save his life? It's a mystery. Sample quote from this abysmal looking trailer: "She may be in Grade 12, but that ass is in grad school". US (Upside Score). 2. Only that high cause I'm still giving Tracy Morgan the benefit of the doubt for his fine television work. SS (Secret Score). 4. I mean, I guess there'll be twists. Whatever.

MacGruber. I actually find the SNL skits funny, but they specifically work cause of how brief they are. Extending it to feature length does not sound promising. Still, I think it should be good for some laughs, although the trailer wasn't too promising. Sample quote: "I just took an upper decker in the upstairs bathroom. That's when you do a number two in the water tank instead of the bowl. You look nice." US. 4. Probably too generous a score. SS. 2. Just a hunch, but I'm guessing MacGruber almost ruins the day, before (almost accidentally) saving it.

Get Him To The Greek. The return of Aldous Snow, from the imo very underrated Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Along with Jonah Hill from the same film (although it doesn't seem that he plays the same character). Also the same director. With just that info I'd be pretty pumped, but the trailer was actually a little flat. Fairly predictable gags. Sample quote: (in reference to a character inserting something in his rectum), "if he wants you to put the candy in the jar, you put the candy in the jar". US. 4. I think it might be better than that, but it wasn't in the trailer. SS. 6. It's not a whodunit anyway, and they didn't give too much away past the set up.

The Losers. The beginning of the MacGruber trailer was very similar in tone to the trailer for The Losers. Then you are relieved to realize that it's a farce. Sadly, The Losers is for real. This looks terrible, and (like Chris Rock) I'm really wondering why Idris Elba can't land in a halfway-decent movie. I guess American Gangster was not bad, but other then that. Here's some sample quotes: "The losers know too much, kill them". "Even the best get betrayed". "You want your life back, you're going to have steal it". "I've got a business proposition for you. It's a suicide mission". US. 1. SS. 4. Maybe it gave away more, I was too disinterested to follow the narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment