Sunday, February 14, 2010

This City Has Gone Nuts

Honestly. If you like crowds, or if you're the partying type, you should just get on a plane and come here. Obviously no hope in hell of getting a hotel room, but we'll figure something out. We don't have a spare bed anymore, cause we got rid of it to make Henry's bedroom a proper nursery, but you can maybe sleep in our car in the underground garage?

Yesterday we went to the women's hockey game between Canada and Slovakia. It was 18-0 for Canada. I was feeling bad for the Slovakians (I think pretty much everybody there with even an ounce of heart was), but at the end of the game they all skated around and raised their sticks to the crowd. And the crowd went absolutely nuts for them, I mean ballistic. And I realized that this was probably the greatest moment of most of their lives, playing in an NHL rink in front of 18k huge hockey fans. And I didn't feel bad for them anymore.

Then we went down to try and see Wilco at LiveCity, the free music venue two blocks down from the condo. It was, literally, the longest line I have seen in my life. Maybe a kilometer long, and ten people wide. As we told our friends who were thinking of coming down, imagine the longest line you have ever seen, and multiply it by five.

So no Wilco for us, but otherwise it's been awesome so far. The city is way more packed and excited than I expected it to be, and I was expecting a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment