Thursday, February 11, 2010

Preview Review IV

Grandma Dunnet came over yesterday so the wife and I became the last people in the western world to go see Avatar. It was pretty much exactly what I expected. Probably the most impressive thing I've ever seen, in terms of the visuals or special effects or whatever. And the script left no cliche unturned. I didn't think the story was that terrible, but man, the dialogue. Can't he hire someone to help him with that? Of course, when your last two movies are the two top-grossing movies of all time, you can probably be forgiven for not thinking you need help.

Anyway, I don't know if it was just because I hadn't been to the movies in quite a while, but I thought the previews looked, as a group, terrific. Easily the best bunch I've been able to bring you in the Preview Review.

SALT -- Angelina Jolie is sorta becoming the female George Clooney, imo. And not just for the endless off-screen campaigning. She mixes up her film choices pretty good between quirky stuff and very mainstream fare. And her movies always look like they'll be good, but I'm not sure she's ever made a great one. This movie falls into the very mainstream category, and it certainly doesn't look like it will be her first great movie. But it definitely looks fun. SS (secret score) 5. US (upside score) 6.

ALICE IN WONDERLAND -- I've been seeing those posters with the demented looking Johnny Depp for quite a while, and had absolutely zero interest in this movie. But the trailer flat out kicked ass. SS 4. Didn't give away THAT much, but the visuals are kind of the main point, and it sure gave those away). US 8. "It Might Get Loud" was the last trailer that increased my interest in seeing a movie this much.

ROBIN HOOD -- It is, in my opinion, patently absurd to have hard rock as the sound track to this trailer, given that it looks like it's trying to be somewhat authentic. But whatever, it's the movies, and it gets your heart pumping. Russell Crowe looks like he'll be to Kevin Costner's Robin Hood what Christian Bale was to Michael Keaton's Batman. Like, way better. SS 5. Doesn't really give away that much, but, you know, it's Robin Hood. US 8. Crowe is the anti-George Clooney. Unlikeable as all get out, but his movies are somehow always better than you think they will be.

KNIGHT AND DAY -- Terrible name. And it sounds terrible on paper. Tom Cruise is some kind of ninja-Green Beret-Men In Black-assassin-we're not sure, who gets tangled up with an unwilling Cameron Diaz, and they play cute when they're not getting shot at while driving 100 mph or on an airliner. Actually, they even play cute when that's happening. Yet for some reason, watching the preview, I was like, I wish that was playing right now. Fuck Avatar! That hasn't happened since Don King and I were at Billy Bathgate and saw a preview for Whore starting Teresa Russell and left the theater to go to it instead (I'd call it a mistake, cause Whore was dreadful, but Billy Bathgate was no screaming blue messiah either). SS 6. A lot of the money shots are clearly in the trailer, and it's not too hard to guess a lot of the plot, but at the same time I still don't know who Tom Cruise is supposed to be (is he Knight, or Day?) US 7.5. I'm starting to feel like a real slut to the mainstream. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I think this looks really good.

PERCY JACKSON -- Actually, this has a really long title. Olympians and something about Zeus maybe? I guess it's the new Harry Potter. Is that right? While I can't get too excited about this type of thing, it does look like they've done an excellent job. Maybe a little less goth than HP, which is good, but maybe a little less inspired as well. SS 6. US 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment