Saturday, December 26, 2009

Rub One Out

Has that phrase been around forever? I swear I'd never heard it a year ago. And lately, it's everywhere. Pop culture references abound (Vera Farmiga suggests George Clooney do just that in "Up In The Air", for example). And my very own wife, the mother of my child, dropped the phrase casually just the other day.

Actually, I'm glad she used it. It's so much better than the alternatives. When I was growing up, you had your goofy inanities ("make the bald man cry", for example), or your violent vulgarities (any number of phrases ending with "off": jerk, whack, jack, beat). Neither camp boasts any enticing options. Rub one out, on the other hand, seems practically classy by comparison. So I'm all for it. I just wanna know when it came to be. Have I been living under a rock, oblivious to the latest trends in masturbatory terminology, or is it new?

Anyway. Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment