Sunday, December 6, 2009

Leonard Cohen

I listened to him all day today while grinding. Listening to him even now. Man, he's got some great songs. Like a lot of singular artists, when you're listening to him you think, 'man, this is all I want to listen to, every day, for the rest of my life'. Then after a while, suddenly, you're done, and you don't feel like listening to him for about three months.

But anyway, today I definitely felt like hearing Leonard Cohen. It's funny how his voice changed over the years. On the early records he sings just kind of plainly, I guess maybe a little earnestly, but really kinda flat (not tonally, although sometimes that too). Then he slowly shifts towards where he ends up, which is that low croak thing he does now. That voice transformation is one of many ways he's a lot like Dylan. How they both started out as fairly normal singers and moved towards something that would undeniably be considered 'worse', in an American Idol sense. Although Dylan didn't get lower-pitched, he just got more and more, uh, Dylanesque. But they both moved decidedly away from melody. Strange.

I remember watching the Juno's, must be at least fifteen years ago, with my Dad. And Leonard Cohen sang his great song "Closing Time". The vocal performance was suitably terrible. And then just moments later, he was awarded the Juno for best Male vocalist. And my Dad laughed and laughed. I mean, he really laughed. I got it, obviously. Here was this guy who had just barely croaked his way through a monotone song winning an award for being the best singer in the country. Okay, it's funny. But I love Leonard Cohen, I loved that song, I was endeared of the performance, and I was proud that he had won. I remember the Grammy's had been just a bit earlier, and Meatloaf had won the corresponding award, and while Mr. Loaf is obviously the better vocalist, I still felt kinda happy I lived in a country that would rather bestow awards on Leonard Cohen than Meatloaf (who was, by the way, excellent in Fight Club and ought to do more acting).

Leonard Cohen's had an amazing life, obviously. The accomplishments, the wealth, the adulation and respect, the famous womanizing. I mean, for a folk troubadour, he really lived the rock and roll dream. But his business manager took all his money. And his voice isn't what it was, and if he's still writing good songs nobody really knows about them. And he's gotten old. He's older than my Dad. If he doesn't have the kind of health problems my Dad has, he will soon enough (unless he dies first).

I dunno. Is this getting morbid? Listening to Leonard Cohen all day can do that to a guy. (Plus, my wife and kid are in Seattle for the day, which is a mini-downer too). Bottom line is, my Dad and Leonard Cohen are a couple of old men. I would definitely have more to talk about at coffee with Leonard (ignoring the celebrity factor, just life stuff). And it's irritating that my Dad laughed at Leonard Cohen. But if Leonard Cohen laughed at my Dad? I'd punch him in the mouth. You know, figuratively.

No comments:

Post a Comment