Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Good Game

Went to the hockey game with my Old Man tonight. Because my dad has been in the hospital, we haven't been able to take Henry to see him. So Rachel walked down with me to GM Place tonight and the little guy finally got to meet his Grandpa, and my Dad finally got to meet his namesake (Henry's middle name, Lawrence, is my Dad's name).

Whatever you think about the fisticuffs in hockey, it's hard to argue that they weren't good for the game tonight. First two periods were pretty boring, then early in the third a major scrum broke out. It happened during a line change, so there were ten guys on the ice for each team, and it got crazy heated. I mean, a lot of those hockey fights are kinda posturing, guys 'doing their jobs' and they pat each other on the ass when it's over. This was not that. These guys were pissed at each other, and it threatened to spiral out of control like in the olden days. Broad Street Bullies and all that. When it finally subsided, it was an entirely different game. Both teams, and the crowd, were totally energized. Playoff-type hockey. Plus, the beloved home team prevailed 4-1. Everyone went home happy. Except the grumpy Glen Sather I walked past on the way home, either coming or going from a town car (I couldn't tell) and fully ignoring myriad autograph seekers (to be fair, I was just walking by, he may well have signed before or after).

When I got home my wife and son were sound asleep. They normally fall asleep before I do, and they look so impossibly cute sleeping side by side. It's tough to decide of which one am I most jealous.

1 comment:

  1. The #1 thing that impresses me with NHL fights is the fact that these giant guys are on SKATES while pounding each other.

    A couple weekends ago I saw a roller derby bout. There were at least 2000+ people in the stadium. Pretty impressive show - might wanna check one out when you're in Chicago next.

    ReplyDelete