Monday, March 30, 2009

Lexington Isn't Our Town

After a crappy show I always think of the movie "Singles", where one scene they're all sitting around talking about how they're gonna rock Portland. And then the next time you see them they're like, "Okay so Portland's not our town". Don't they say something about being big in Belgium or something? Anyway, it's funny, and I can relate. Not to say tonight was a crappy show. That's unnecessarily disparaging. "Crappy" and "sparsely attended" are clearly not the same thing, and with that clarification I can more openly consider tonight's gig. And it was actually pretty good. We played decent. Not for very long, there was a sentiment from some in the band that we would have liked to play longer. We definitely could have, there was no time limit put on us, just when it's a light crowd it kind of feels like in everybody's best interest to keep it a bit shorter.

And yeah, it was really light. We had no guarantee, just a percentage of the door. And I didn't even go looking for the promoter to see about getting paid. I just assumed it was nothing (not that there was nobody, wasn't like THAT bad, but we got a percentage after a certain amount came in and I was pretty sure it didn't clear that amount). Don't remember the last time we didn't get paid, probably ten years or something. I don't remember EVER not even asking about getting paid. So that's a first. I guess it should maybe be depressing or something. But it's Monday night in where-the-fuck. We are a long ways away from where we have a decent fanbase, and we haven't been to this town in about four years. I think I just understand the way these things work too much to be bummed about it. At the same time, it does underscore the internal band debate that has been raging for years. Should we tour the whole country, or just stick to the regions where we already do well? There's a bazillion pros and cons to both, I'll save 'em for another blog.

After the gig I spent about 15 minutes in the hotel gym. Fairly pathetic. I did do a longish jog today through a real nice Kentucky park that was positively brimming with activity. Probably about 12k total. I went to the gym right after that but just found myself with no energy at all, so decided to come back later. Turns out I didn't have much energy later either. Getting in shape takes it out of you, if it was ever there in the first place. Still glad I went and did what I did. It's funny, tho. My trainer gave me this program for working out on the road. When I follow it, I have good work outs. If I don't have it with me, if I just go down to the gym intending to do basically the same workout but don't actual have it written down, I have terrible workouts. I'm not sure what exactly that tells me about myself, but I have a sense that the conclusions, should I eventually arrive at them, will be surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment