Monday, August 2, 2010

Preview Review V

Inception is a stunner, by the way. If you haven’t seen it, do.


WALL STREET. Man, Michael Douglas is looking a lot like Kirk. I guess it makes sense, you know, genetically speaking. But sometimes it’s like spitting image material. Overall this will probably be a fun movie, although the time that Oliver Stone was considered an ‘important’ director seems long gone. From the looks (or sounds) of the trailer, this will be absolutely riddled with clichéd dialogue. But you know, maybe that’s what these people actually talk like. Upside Score (US) 5. Secret Score (SS) 7.

TRON. I didn’t see the original, and maybe if I did this would be more exciting. Also, maybe the secret score might be lower, cause I might have had more than the vaguest sense of what’s going on. I mean, I know he enters a video game or whatever, but that’s about it. Still, looks good, as far as movies I’m not that interested in go. US 5. SS 8.

THE SOCIAL NETWORK. Having been burned a few times now in these Preview Reviews, I am developing a good sense for when the preview will actually be better than the movie (I’m looking at you, Russell Crowe’s Robin Hood). And this preview was almost functional as a self-contained ‘story of Facebook’. It did make the movie look quite good, but I’m suspicious that the picture proper will disappoint. Still I remain, always, hopeful. US 7.5. SS 5.

DUE DATE. On paper, it’s can’t miss. Robert Downey Jr and Zach G from the Hangover in a road comedy. On film, it sadly looks likely to miss. Maybe everything’s much funnier in context. US 3. SS 3.

THE TOWN. How does Ben Affleck not suck? Doesn’t it really seem like he should suck? Goes to show you never can tell, I guess. US 7. SS 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment