Saturday, May 8, 2010

Damn Canucks

It’s not over, we’re only down 3-1. And I haven’t lost faith. Well, in a sense I’ve lost faith. In the sense that I think we’re kinda the Chicago Cubs, just sort of destined to not break through. But I haven’t lost faith in the sense that I still care. I mean, we could be down 49-0 in a best of 99 series and I’d still be sweating that 50th game.

But, man it’s frustrating. We looked to be in such good shape going into the third period of Game 2 and since then it’s just been seven periods of hell.

The point of this blog is that twice now on this tour I’ve watched the Canucks lay a home ice egg and then gotten up on stage to play, and I just haven’t quite gotten over my Canuck disappointment in time for the rock and roll show. And so it’s taken me maybe half an hour to shake the bad mood. I just find that so ridiculous. It’s just a hockey game. And man, these are actually the glory days as far as the Canucks go. Normally we’d have been long ago eliminated. It’s been a good year, and by Canucks standards an excellent one. So if a relatively great year results in me pissed off in Missoula, MT for no real good reason, what’s the point of fandom? Just sitting around waiting for the 1 in 30 chance (at best) that this is our year, and accepting the 29 in 30 change that they’ll make me sad?

People mock the ‘bandwagon’ fan, but maybe they have it right. Get excited when things are going great, don’t sweat it too much when they aren’t. Win-win, right? Or maybe more like win-tie.

Otherwise, it’s been a really great tour but kinda heartbreaking to be apart from the family so long. Skype is a mixed blessing. It’s awesome to see them, and pretty amazing when I can actually get Henry to smile at me. But it does make you feel the separation even more acutely. Cannot wait to see them Sunday. I have a strong suspicion hanging with them will take the edge off Game 5, whatever it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment